The Big Event is this Saturday, April 9th! We look forward to serving you this weekend. Here are a few important reminders for the day-of. Please also note that we are receiving hundreds of emails and calls and we are responding as quickly as possible. Please read carefully below, which may answer any questions.
Day of Logistics
- Volunteers will arrive between 11am – 12pm
- Volunteers can stay and work for up to 4 hours
- Volunteers will bring all requested tools with them
- NO POWER TOOLS ARE ALLOWED
- If there are any issues on the day-of, please call our Headquarters at (540) 440-1244
Currently the forecast is calling for a cold, windy day with a chance of precipitation. The Big Event is NOT cancelled at this time and will only get cancelled if the weather becomes dangerous for volunteers.
If your project cannot be completed in cold weather, we suggest looking for other tasks volunteers could complete inside such as washing windows or basic indoor cleaning. We have told the volunteers to dress appropriately for the weather so most outdoor projects should go on as planned. With that being said, please take the well-being of volunteers into account. Please give volunteers ample time to warm up while working at the job site.
A Few Disclaimers
- The homeowner must be on-site this Saturday, volunteers cannot work at a job site that has nobody present.
- If the project requires digging, call Miss Utility at 811
- Students can only use ladders up to one story and they cannot us power tools
If you have any more questions visit our homeowner FAQ section at vtbigevent.org/residents/faq.
Even with the colder than usual weather, it is very imperative that your entire team shows up to the drillfield as over 1,200 residents are relying on Hokies to live out Ut Prosim. Each volunteer and team has already been matched to jobs and no-show teams reflect very poorly on Virginia Tech and The Big Event.
Preparing for The Big Event
– It will be cold and windy outside so please dress appropriately. Some jobs will occur outdoors, but feel free to take breaks and warm up while working on your project.
– Bring water
– Coordinate where your group will meet the morning of (be as specific as possible!)
Check-In On Saturday
– Check-in is at 9am sharp at the large tent in front of War Memorial Hall
– Check-in tent is divided by the first letter of your team name
Fun Things on the Drillfield
- FREE t-shirts for all volunteers!
- Photo Booth
- Come take pictures with your team!
- Sponsors Booths (stop by to get free things):
- The Retreat / Terrace View / Campus Cookies / Coca Cola
- Opening Ceremonies
- The Low Techs
- President Sands
- Vice President, Dr. Perillo
- Blacksburg Mayor, Ron Rordam
- The Big Event Directors
Perks of Being a Volunteer
April 9th: Buy 3 Cupcakes get 1 Free at Gobble Cakes
April 9th: 10% off at Green’s
April 9th-16th: 25% off at Sycamore Deli
More to be added, stay tuned to our Facebook and Twitter for updates!
*Must be wearing Big Event t-shirt*
The team captain’s meeting powerpoint is located here: http://vtbigevent.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Team-Captains-Meeting-PP-2016.pdf
Please review it and if you have any questions and check out our FAQ here: http://vtbigevent.org/volunteer/faq
We look forward to seeing you Saturday!
Make sure to sign up by April 4th for this year’s Big Event!
We are less than two weeks away from The Big Event! Due to a number of requests for a weekday project check, we are having one this week on Wednesday, March 30. Please fill out the survey if you want your project checked this day.
Due to this check being on a weekday, we might not have as many committee members available to check projects, so even if you do request your project to be checked on Wednesday, there is no guarantee we will be able to do so. We have our last project check on April 2 and will check the remaining projects then.
How Wednesday’s Project Check Will Work:
Our committee will be checking projects from 5-7 pm, so we can check projects after people are home from work. You should receive a phone call from one of our committee members between 5-6 PM to confirm that you are home and available for the check. The project check should last no longer than 30 minutes.
Thank you for being patent as we finish checking the remaining projects. We look forward to completing your project on April 9th!
Please fill out this survey if you will be available this Wednesday Evening:
We have reached 4,000 volunteers! That is 40% of the way to our goal of 10,000. Make sure all of your friends sign up, so we can have a record breaking number of volunteers!