The Big Event is this Saturday, April 7th! We look forward to serving you this weekend. Here are a few important reminders for the day-of. Please also note that we are receiving hundreds of emails and calls and we are responding as quickly as possible. Please read carefully below, which may answer any questions.
Day of Logistics
- Volunteers will arrive between 11am – 12pm
- Volunteers can stay and work for up to 4 hours
- Volunteers will bring all requested tools with them
- NO POWER TOOLS ARE ALLOWED
- If there are any issues on the day-of, please call our Headquarters at (540) 440-1244
- We will not be checking emails. Please call the above number
Currently the forecast is calling for cool spring day. We have told the volunteers to dress appropriately for the weather. With that being said, please take the well-being of volunteers into account. Please give volunteers ample time to warm up while working at the job site, if needed.
A Few Disclaimers
- The homeowner must be on-site this Saturday, volunteers cannot work at a job site that has nobody present.
- If the project requires digging, call Miss Utility at 811
- Students can only use ladders up to one story and they cannot us power tools
If you have any more questions visit our homeowner FAQ section at vtbigevent.org/residents/faq.
The Big Event is almost here! This Saturday, April 7th, team captains should show up by 9:00 AM on the drillfield, and all volunteers should arrive to the drillfield by 9:30 AM.
It is very imperative that your entire team shows up to the drillfield as over 1,200 residents are relying on Hokies to live out Ut Prosim. Each volunteer and team has already been matched to jobs and no-show teams reflect very poorly on Virginia Tech and The Big Event.
Preparing for The Big Event
– Some projects will be outside, so please dress appropriately.
– Bring water
– Coordinate where your group will meet the morning of (be as specific as possible!)
Check-In On Saturday
– Check-in is at 9am sharp at the large tent near the War Memorial Gym
– Check-in tent is divided by the first letter of your team name
There will also be sponsors booths and free stuff on drillfield, as well as some exciting guest speakers and performances. We look forward to seeing you Saturday!
The Hokie Bird can’t believe it either. “An extra week to register for The Big Event 2017? It’s too good to be true!”
But alas HB, the rumors are true. After long hours of deliberation and a strong belief that no Hokie should have to miss out on service, The Big Event Executive Committee has decided to officially extend volunteer registration to April 3rd at 5:00 pm.
What does this mean for you? If you’ve already signed up, it means an extra week to pester your friends who “just haven’t gotten around to it” to finally sign up before they miss out on their free t-shirt and bonding with the community. If you are a permanent resident of the Procrastination Nation and have yet to sign up for The Big Event yourself, now is the time to sign-up and become a member of the biggest Big Event in Virginia Tech history! 7,500 of your closest friends have already signed up, what are you waiting for?
Sign up to volunteer by clicking the button below.
The Big Event is right around the corner! This is just a kind reminder that the deadline to submit a project tonight Friday, March 24 at 11:59pm EST. Be sure to request your projects before then here: http://registration.vtbigevent.org/jobrequest
If you aren’t sure if you are registered, you should have received a confirmation email. If you have any questions, please refer to our FAQ.